Since the holidays can be a stressful time, the more planning you do ahead of time, the more prepared you will be for challenging situations…and the more you will enjoy yourself this holiday season! Take that extra time to give yourself some T.L.C.
We recommend that you:
• Maintain your regular routines as much as possible, such as sleeping enough.
• Get proper nutrition and don’t overdo unhealthy holiday treats.
• Take medications that may be prescribed for mental health disorders.
• Keep your appointments with your healthcare practitioners.
• Attend 12-step and other support groups. Many recovery groups convene on holidays.
If you will be going to social gatherings where alcohol may be served, here are some helpful strategies to help you avoid a relapse:
• Try to find out who will be attending the family, business or neighborhood gathering. Knowing who will be there will help you feel more in control, and anticipate questions or comments from friends, family or strangers.
View original post 100 more words