Addictions to painkillers, heroin and alcohol are chronic diseases just like diabetes or heart disease. Up until a few weeks ago, there was no legislation..
Posts tagged ‘Alcoholism’
Study: Burden of Disease Associated with Alcohol-use Disorders Higher Than Previously Thought
“In the United States in 2005, 65,000 deaths, 1,152,000 years of life lost due to premature mortality (YLL), 2,443,000 years of life lost due to disability (YLD), and 3,595,000 disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) lost were associated with AUD. For individuals 18 years of age and older, AUD were associated with 3% of all deaths (5% for men and 1% for women), and 5% of all YLL (7% for men and 2% for women). The majority of the burden of disease associated with AUD stemmed from YLD, which accounted for 68% of DALYs associated with AUD (66% for men and 74% for women). The youngest age group had the largest proportion of DALYs associated with AUD stemming from YLD.”
Prevalence of alcohol use disorders by category, sex, and age in 2005. And:
Proportion of all deaths associated with alcohol use disorders in 2005, by sex and age You can read the abstract of the paper by Rehm, et al. here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/acer.12331/abstract
Self Test for Alcoholism and Drug Addiction
Please answer yes or no to the following questions:
1. Do you lose time from work due to your drinking or drug use?
2. Is drinking or drug use making your home life unhappy?
3 .Do you drink or use drugs because you are shy with other people?
4. Is drinking or using drugs affecting your reputation?
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking or drug use?
6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of your drinking or drug use?
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking or using drugs?
8. Does your drinking or using drugs make you careless of your family’s welfare?
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking or using drugs?
10. Do you crave a drink or drugs at a definite time daily?
11. Do you want a drink or drugs the next morning?
12. Does drinking or drug use cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking or using drugs?
14. Is drinking or using drugs jeopardizing your job or business?
15. Do you drink or use drugs to escape from worries or troubles?
16. Do you drink or use drugs alone?
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of your drinking or drug use?
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking or drug use?
19. Do you drink or use drugs to build up your self-confidence?
20. Have you ever been in a hospital or institution on account of drinking or drug use?
Please contact me for a more comprehensive confidential assessment. 314-956-3139
This test was written at Johns Hopkins University to assess for alcoholism and drug addiction.